Saturday, July 21, 2012

You're Asian?



{My great-aunt & great-uncle. c. 1940's}

{Hand-painted geisha dolls from Japan}




{The face only a mother could love-- maybe.}

{Grandma & Grandpa Sugita looking dashing. c. 1945}

{My grandpa (far right) and his siblings in So. California. c. 1930's}

I don't invite people to my house very often (I have a dad who prefers to walk around shirtless-- enough said), but when my friends do make the occasional visit, they often comment on the amount of Japanese decor around my house. Being that I have grown up surrounded by Japanese dolls, painted plates, paintings, and photos of my family, I had never really noticed how abundant my family's collection had become. 

I was feeling a bit under the weather today, so I decided to stay in and take photos of some of the dolls that my Grandpa had brought back from Japan. Some are creepy (note the redhead), but most are very cool hand-crafted dolls. 

I guess what they say is true-- sometimes inspiration is right under your nose. 

xo, 
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment